Krackow, Uecker-Randow, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany

Krackow was home to many of the early Bogenschneiders. Krackow was part of Kreis Randow, Pommern, Prussia/Germany until 1939.  After World War II, it was located in East Germany (DDR). Today it is in the district of Uecker Randow, state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.

Duane Bogenschneider visited the town on 16 May 2007.  Below are some pictures taken during his visit. Pictures are some scenes in the town and of the Krackow church.

Today there are no Bogenschneiders living in the town.  Graves in the town are removed thirty years after the death of the person, and no Bogenschneiders were found in the cemetery. A key to the church can be found with Hardy Kapelle, who with his wife own the Zur Linde Restaurant in Krackow. 


Die Gemeinde Krackow / The Community of Krackow  (Description taken from the sign at the entry to the town)

Krackow ist eine dem Amt Löcknitz Penkun angehörende Gemeinde im Landkreis Uecker-Randow des Bundeslandes Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Zur Gemeinde Krackow gehören die Ortsteile Lebehn, Battinsthal, Hohenholz und Schuckmannshöhe. [The muncipality of Krackow is administered by Loecknitz Penkun, in the district Uecker Randow, in the federal state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. To the municipality Krackow belong the local communities Lebehn, Battinsthal, Hohenholz and Schuckmannshoehe.]

Die räumlichen Entfernungen betragen zu: Penkun, im Süden ca. 7 km; Pasewalk, im Nord - Western ca. 45 km; der polnischen Grenze, im Osten ca. 9 km. Krackow liegt im idyllischen Randowtal, in der unmittelbaren Höhe der Flusses "Randow." [In distances, Penkun, is approximately 7 km to the south; Pasewalk, is approximately 45 km to the northwest; and the Polish border is approximately 9 km to the east. Krackow lies in the idyllic Randow valley, in the hills of the river "Randow."]

Das Randowgebiet, welches früher Randowplateau genannt wurde, war für die geologische, ökonomische und geschichtliche Entwicklung von entscheidender Bedeutung. [The Randow area, which in former times was called the Randow plateau, was of crucial importance because of its geological, economic and historical development.]

Der Name "Randow" kommt urkundlich zum erstenmal im Jahre 1250 vor. Er wird in der Grenzbeschreibung Barnims I. erwähnt, wonach die Ortsgrenze der Uckara (Uckermark) un Randow und Welse verläuft. "Randow" war damals noch die Bezeichnung für ein Sumpfgebiet. Für die Uckersmer lag das Territorium "Stettinse" in Richtung Sonnenaufgang, im Osten. "Rano" bedeutet soviel wie frühzeitig, früh am Morgen. [The name "Randow" occurs for the first time in the year 1250. It is mentioned in the border description of Barnims I, according to which the local border of the Uckara (Uckermark) runs next to Randow and Welse. "Randow" was at that time still the name for a swampy area. For the Uckersmer the territory "Stettinse" lay toward the sunrise, in the east. "Rano" means promptly, early in the morning.]


Since the reunification of Germany in 1990, the population of Krackow has been steadily declining due to high unemployment in the area. Many of the young people have gone to cities to the west where the opportunity for employment is better. The population as of 30 June 2006 was 772.

Guts (estates) in the area include Gutshaus Jordan and Gutshaus v. Hirschheydt.


Sign with map and description at entry to Krackow

Describes villages of Battinsthal, Schuckmannshoehe, Hohenholz and Lebehn, villages that comprise the community of Krackow

Welcome to Krackow, district of Uecker Randow

Street in Krackow

Historischer Nutzgarten / Historical vegetable garden

Historical vegetable garden

Histrorische Kutschen und Schlitten / Carriage and sled museum

Museum sign

The carriage and sled museum

Another town street

Some grain storage silos in town

Going down another street

Farm building in town

Town hall

Krackow church built in 2nd half of 13th c.

Krackow church - western tower foundation dates from late Middle Ages, upper brick parts, 2nd half of 19th c

Krackow church, windows extended and framed by arches in 2nd half of 19th c

Interior of Krackow church - nave has flat ceiling and aspe has rib vaulting

Altar in Krackow church - gold-plated wood cross by Christian Friedrich, on loan from Reinberg

Pulpit in Krackow church - 2nd half of 19th c, from a church in northwestern Pomerania

View of balcony area -- gracious hosts Hardy Kapelle and wife below. Own town restaurant and have church key.

Chairs for bride and groom during wedding

New church bell added in 2004 produced by Rincker from Sinn/Hessen

Old church bell - by Johann Heinrich Schmidt from Stettin in 1702

View of town from steeple

View from steeple

View from steeple

View from steeple

View from steeple

View from steeple

View of church cross from steeple

Entrance to Krackow church cemetery

Krackow church cemetery

Graves are removed 30 years after death of individual

Zur Linde Restaurant, owned by Hardy Kapelle - has 5 tables, dartboard and Beck's beer